Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 4: Oh Mary, Don't You Weep

This week, we continue with our theme of spirituals and work songs with a focus on "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep." This theme was particularly present in my daily life because of the kick off of a lot of Free Speech Movement 50th anniversary events -- Visitor and Parent Services is part of the Office of Public Affairs so we are very involved in promoting it.

One of the events this week was the concert of songs from the Civil Rights Movement by the University Chorus and the Gospel Choir on Sproul Plaza. There was one song that they sang ... I can't remember what it was called but the general idea was about suffering and how much longer they had to endure it. It reminded me quite strongly of "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep." I'll try to email someone from the choruses to see if they have a setlist.

I really like how upbeat the songs are -- this takes me back to the quote I pulled from the reading: "The music was explaining the history as the history was explaining the music." As these people are working, suffering, they are singing. This singing is a better and richer documentation of the time period than any history book.

I really like the Leadbelly version of "Oh Mary." It has almost a lullaby sound to it... reminds me of that children's song "Hush, Little Baby." I listened to that version probably about 10 times. It made me smile. The John Hurt version of it is similar melodically but not as upbeat as the Lead Belly version... it conveys a little more gravity. 

The Gomorrans version is pretty cool too -- a little more modern, very indie feel to it -- kind of a hipster thing to do. Goes to show how these songs persevere through history. I could probably imagine hearing that version on the radio. 

As for the biblical references, they make me appreciate the meaning of the song a little bit more, but I didn't really grow up with the bible so that meaning is not as rich. Nominally, I am Serbian Christian Orthodox, but I moved around a lot and church wasn't a part of our lives beyond just acknowledging that there is something up there. My family goes to church on major religious holidays but this is not nearly enough to appreciate all the symbolism and depth of the biblical references.   




No comments:

Post a Comment